Sunday, November 30, 2008

Renting a Video

I saw Wall-E in the theatre and loved it. I had an urge to watch it again this weekend, so today I went to the video store and grabbed the last copy. Lucky me! As I was reaching into my purse to find my credit card, the clerk asked somewhat timidly (or perhaps in awe),

"How tall are you?"
She sounded appropriately humble, so I decided to answer.
"6'2"
Sometimes I say 6'3". I like to vary it.
"I know what it's like to be tall." She didn't look tall to me. "I'm 5'9" and I remember the things the kids used to say about me back in school when I was taller than everyone else."
She sounded like she wanted me to commiserate with her, so I commiserated.
"Yeah, I know what that's like."

I shouldn't have said it though, because it's a lie. I never got made fun of in school for being tall, at least not to my face. I was known as the smart kid, or the bookworm, but never the tall kid. Oh, people recognized that I was somewhat above average in height, but I can't recall a single time anyone in school said anything negative about it.

However, I have heard this sentiment from several other tall women. A lot of them were talked about or made fun of in school for being tall. And honestly, probably also for being large, a logical side effect which sometimes comes with being so tall.

Do people really think that their height/size is something these women had control over? To anyone who ever did this, shame on you.

3 comments:

SUBHADIP said...

A very touchy blog and interesting like your other posts also..keep on writing..if you can visit my blog and share your comments..http://subhadip-writerscolumn.blogspot.com

Amberleigh said...

Wow you are tall. People sometimes tell me I am tall but I am a meager five seven. I love your blog by the way.

Anonymous said...

Now I don't think I'm any tall. Haha! I think most people here are simply too short.