Saturday, November 22, 2008

Do I Embrace my Height?

A friendly commenter wished me well on my new blog and said that she hoped I embraced my height. This got me thinking, and doing a self-analysis that I haven't done in quite some time. Do I embrace my height? I'm sure that everybody has something about theirself that they need to learn to accept. And I know that I have met other tall women who it seemed to me were struggling with this very issue. For my part, after a very short analysis, I already knew the answer. Yes, I do.

Now this wasn't always the case. I distinctly remember being uncomfortable with my height during my awkward teenage years. I was very, very shy, and I hated that people always stared at me because of it. I also remember feeling clumsy, as if my soul wasn't big enough to fill up the body that it was in. But somewhere along the way, as the years passed, I finally grew into my skin.

I don't even think about it, really. It's just who I am. And to be honest, most of the time I even enjoy the attention it brings. I usually find myself walking down the street with a confident step and head held high, because I know that people notice me. And from the many comments that I've heard over the years, I figure that it's the good kind of noticing. Who doesn't enjoy a little attention? It's the same sort of confidence as knowing that you have dressed particularly well today.

It's just who I am. It's my share in life. And I have to say, it's not half bad.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I'm loving your blog and what you have to say! I'm glad you posted about that comment too, I noticed it and thought about it too, I have always found you to embrace being tall. This may sound silly, but in a way I don't remember noticing that you were tall for a while. I think it's how you carry yourself, I can tell your comfortable in your own skin and so I didn't even notice anything different. Except that you can run faster, haha.

Laura Jayne said...

I envy you your height. I always wanted to be unique. Alas all I got was very long toes.