Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sitting Still

I have been working in my office job for a little over two years now and noticing that more often than not during that period, I just feel worn out after a day of work. Sore neck muscles, back hurts, just tired. At first I thought that my body was getting worn out before its time. I'm only 25 after all. Then I decided that the cubicle life of an office worker just wasn't for me. Sitting and staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day was driving me mad (anybody seen that Hoops & Yoyo e-card from Hallmark? Classic.) Then I realized that it was in fact the sitting that was driving me mad, but not in the way I thought: its the chairs. Chairs that are not designed for tall people.

Granted, I haven't sat in a chair that has been designed to accommodate my height since I was 12, but this is also the first time in my life that I have been confined to a chair for 8 full hours (and sometimes more) out of my day. It's never exactly been comfortable, but usually I don't have to sit in the same spot for more than an hour or two. Except at work. Imagine that you are sitting in one of those kindergarten chairs where your knees are taller than the seat of the chair so they kind of stick up in your face when you sit down. That's what it is like for a tall person. I only had this revelation a few months ago, but now I find myself gazing enviously at seated people. People who can comfortably sit up straight in their chair because their legs fall naturally to the ground and balance them out. I cannot sit up straight in a chair for any period of time because it is too short for my legs, so my body wants to naturally slouch in order to balance out the weight. Which is what I find myself doing at work.

Now as soon as I identified the problem I began working on a solution; namely, how to sit in a chair so as to maximize my posture and reduce soreness. So far, I haven't come up with any solutions that are ideal, but I intend to study this problem diligently at work on a daily basis. I'm hopeful that given enough time - which I have plenty of - I'll be able to come up with something that I can sit back, relax, and enjoy.

5 comments:

Basir Seerat said...

excellent blog , wonderful topices you shared wit us .
congrat for your beautiful blog

Anonymous said...

You should start a company and build chairs for tall people :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kalyn! You should look at getting an Aeron chair, they actually make a size for tall people.

Jake Daniels said...

I would go insane working in a cubicle, so kudos on that. Also, I just wanted to say that the fact you're 6'3" makes me inexplicably happy. Like your posts, hope to read more!

Chase said...

you're absolutely right.

you have me on height by an inch or so, but I'm still considered 'tall'

I never associated the impossible feat of sitting in a chair for any length of time with height.

Thanks for the paradigm shift!

From the desk of my bed,
-Chase