Friday, January 9, 2009

My Favorite Tall Clothing Store

I was first introduced to it as a naive 17-year-old. I came to Chicago in my innocence and discovered the activity, the hustle-and-bustle of city life, and.....the Tall Girl shop. An actual store that I could go in and buy jeans that fit my long legs? What had I been missing all my life? I'd been subsisting on "tall" jeans from JCPenney and pants from the Long Elegant Legs catalog (which is also a great resource for tall women's clothing, but catalog shopping is too much of a hassle for me.) I remember that first night that I walked around the store in several different pairs of jeans just to get the sensation of wearing pants that dragged the ground.

I went home and got on the internet to discover the whereabouts of the rest of these precious stores. Unfortunately, they were only located in select cities in the North, such as Chicago, New York, Boston, Seattle. And I lived in Arkansas. Fortunately for me, my brother lived in Chicago, so every year for the next 8 years I would make my yearly pilgrimage up north to visit family and to shop at Tall Girl. There I would spend obscene amounts of money buying all the pairs of pants that I would wear until they wore out the next year and I made my next pilgrimage.

So I had a routine that served me well, and I didn't think things could get any better. Until a few months ago when a tall friend informed me that Tall Girl had opened up a new store in a totally new locale....none other than sunny Dallas, TX! Which is not 3 hours from where I live! All of a sudden a world of possibilities opened up. I imagined a world where I could go shopping anytime I wanted, without the obstacle of a $700 plane ticket. I daydreamed of taking weekend jaunts to the City to do a little shopping.

Well folks, the dream finally came true when I went to Dallas for New Year's. And I'm looking forward to many more happy shopping trips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your frustration with finding clothes for tall chicks -- that's why I openend KAT Clothing & Design. Our retail store is in Kansas City, Mo., and our Web store is www.katclothing.com.

I hope you'll check out our site and if you're ever in KC, stop by to visit.

Tall chicks rule!

XXOO,
Kat

Becky Thomas said...

Tall Girl is most definitely a sacred place for me as well. I had a similar experience my first time going there. It was like I couldn't believe all the clothes were actually fitting! I got a Tall Girl gift card for my college graduation but there aren't any remotely near my new home in Spokane, WA...hope they don't expire. Great blog, I feel like we're pretty much the same person :-)